When should I have acupuncture during IVF?
Based on new research it's best to have acupuncture treatment at least 9 times before your embryo transfer. It's been shown to improve pregnancy rates in IVF patients. Some fertility clinics recommend having acupuncture during IVF treatment.
Acupuncture has been shown in research to normalise hormone levels, reduce stress and anxiety, increase blood flow to the uterus and aid with implantation of the embryo into the uterus wall. It can also reduce the chances of having a miscarriage.
You can have acupuncture once a week leading up to your embryo transfer, so 9 weeks before transfer. During this time you can also optimsie your lifestyle and diet to further improve your live birth rate.
When you have your embryo transferred back into your uterus, it's best to have acupuncture before and after the transfer, ideally on the day of the embryo transfer.
Once you've had your embryo transferred, I would recommend having 2 acupuncture sessions before you take your pregnancy test.
Acupuncture schedule during IVF treatment
- Weekly acupuncture sessions ideally 3 months before starting IVF
- Once you start taking the stimulation drugs to grow lots of eggs, you should have acupuncture twice a week
- When you are due to have your embryo put back in, you should have acupuncture
before and after on day of embryo transfer
- Once the embryo is back in your uterus, you should have acupuncture at least twice before the pregnancy test
- If the IVF is a success, you should have acupuncture until 20 weeks of pregnancy