Acupuncture for IVF
Based on new research it's best to have acupuncture treatment at least 9 times before your embryo transfer. It's been shown to improve pregnancy rates in in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) fertility treatment. Some fertility clinics recommend having acupuncture during IVF treatment.
Acupuncture has been shown in research to normalise hormone levels, reduce stress and anxiety. Acupuncture increased blood flow to the uterus and can aid with implantation of the embryo into the uterus wall and increase success rates of IVF. It can also reduce the chances of having a miscarriage.
Clinical trials have proven the effectiveness of acupuncture during IVF. Those that received acupuncture when compared to the control group had an increase in live births.
You can have accupuncture once a week leading up to your embryo transfer, so 9 weeks before transfer. During this time you can also optimsie your lifestyle and diet to further improve your live birth rate.
When you have your embryo transferred back into your uterus, it's best to have treatment before and after the transfer, ideally on the day of the embryo transfer.
Once you've had your embryo transferred, I would recommend having 2 sessions before you take your pregnancy test.
- Weekly sessions ideally 3 months before starting IVF
- Once you start taking the stimulation drugs to grow lots of eggs, you should have treatment twice a week before egg retrieval
- When you are due to have your embryo put back in, you should have treatment before and after on day of embryo transfer
- Once the embryo is back in your uterus, you should have treatment at least twice before the pregnancy test
- If the IVF is a success, you should have treatment until 12 weeks of pregnancy