Acupuncture for tinnitus
Tinnitus is a medical condition of ringing in the ears with a high pitched sound which causes some hearing loss. It can affect men and women. Around 18% of the population suffer from tinnitus.
The volume of ringing in the ears can vary week to week. For some patients with tinnitus it can be a sudden onset and be debilitating. It can affect people's sleep, mood and sociability.
The causes of tinnitus can be exposure to loud noise, an ear infection, trauma to the ear drum and a head injury in western medicine. From a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) viewpoint it can be caused by trauma to the ear drum by a head injury or loud noises as well as excessive working, exercising or poor lifestyle and diet.
Treatment for tinnitus
Acupuncture treatment has been used for thousands of years as a treatment of tinnitus. It can reduce the levels of tinnitus in some people, depending upon their underlying health.
Acupuncture from a member of the British Acupuncture Council can treat tinnitus by:
- Acting on the cochlea, specifically on the contractile activity of outer hair cells
- Acting on the function of the efferent olivocochlear system to suppress otoacoustic emissions
- Altering the brain's chemistry, increasing neuropeptide Y levels and reducing serotonin levels
- Reducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory actors
- Increasing local microcirculation, which aids dispersal of swelling