Tinnitus is a medical condition of ringing in the ears. It can affect men and women. Around 18% of the population suffer from tinnitus.
The volume of ringing in the ears can vary week to week. For some people tinnitus can be debilitating.
It can affect people's sleep, mood and socialbility.
Acupuncture for Tinnitus
Acupuncture can reduce the levels of tinnitus in some people, depending upon their underlying health.
Acupuncture may help relieve tinnitus by:
- Acting on the cochlea, specifically on the contractile activity of outer hair cells
- Acting on the function of the efferent olivocochlear system to suppress otoacoustic emissions
- Altering the brain's chemistry, increasing neuropeptide Y levels and reducing serotonin levels
- Reducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory actors
- Increasing local microcirculation, which aids dispersal of swelling