Acupuncture for insomnia
Insomnia (sleeplessness), is a condition where people have trouble falling asleep.
Insomniacs can suffer greatly with this problem, causing tiredness, irritalble, low moods and poor concentration.
How acupuncture can help insomniacs
In Chinese medicine theory, insomnia is caused by an over-active mind that cannnot switch off. This is turn can be caused by stress, a lack of blood, anxiety and excessive heat.
Acupuncture is able to relax people's mind's, helping them to switch off their mind or at least reduce the level of intense mental activity.
As with all health problems it's also important to improve your diet in order to improve the quality of your sleep. For insomnia, increasing levels of blood in the body can have dramatic effects.
Research has found that acupuncture are significantly more effective than hypnotic drugs, for example benzodiazepines.
Research has shown that acupuncture treatment may specifically be of benefit in people with insomnia by:
- Increasing nocturnal endogenous melatonin secretion
- Stimulating opioid (especially b-endorphin) production and µ-opioid receptor activity
- Increasing nitric oxide synthase activity and nitric oxide content, helping to promote normal function of brain tissues, which could help to regulate sleep
- Increasing cerebral blood flow
- Reducing sympathetic nervous system activity, hence increasing relaxation
- Regulating levels of neurotransmitters (or their modulators) such as serotonin, noradrenaline, dopamine, GABA and neuropeptide Y; hence altering the brains's mood chemistry to help to increase relaxation and reduce tension