Learn how you can improve your egg quality and get pregnant
Knowing how to improve egg quality will improve your fertility and help your chances of conceiving and having a baby, where it's natural conception or using assisted reproductive technologies such as IVF.
Each egg has a life span of around 120 days not 90 days. During those 120 days, the quality of egg is based on your overall health. If you're dieting, working or exercising excessively or don't get enough sleep, your body will be weak and there won't be enough resources to produce good quality eggs. To improve natural fertility, you need to improve your general health over the lifespan of the egg (120 days).
It's especially important to improve the quality of your eggs before starting any reproductive medicine treatment such as IVF. Most fertility clinics want to stimulate the ovaries to produce around a dozen eggs.
If your overall health is poor or you have a low AMH level, stimulating your body to produce this many eggs can dilute the quality of them, making it less likely to reach blastocyst (day 5 embryo) in the fertility clinic lab before it's transferred back into the woman's uterus. Having poor egg health can increase the occurrence of chromosomal abnormalities.
If you have a low AMH level (poor ovarian reserve), you should try my top 12 tips below and allow several months before trying either naturally or with IVF.
My top 12 tips to improve egg quality
Here is my top 12 tips to improve your egg quality:
- Don't diet. If you need to lose weight exercise instead
- Eat 3 meals a day and optimise your fertility diet with foods that are high in protein with lots of sea food
- Don't work night shifts
- Don't sleep after 10pm, sleep before
- Don't exercise more than 3 times a week
- Have acupuncture weekly
- Practice mindfulness or meditation to reduce anxiety and stress
- Take Chinese fertility herbs
- Take DHEA 25-75mg every day
- Take coenzyme Q10 600mg every day
- Take melatonin 2-4mg every day
- Take a good quality prenatal supplement every day
- Reduce stress by having acupuncture or practising mindfulness, meditation or yoga
Things that can worsen egg health:
Avoid this things which can cause poor egg quality: