Chronic Fatigue (ME)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (myalgic encephalomyelitis - ME), is characterised by long-term chronic fatigue and other symptoms such as pain.
In Chinese medicine theory, ME is caused by chronic deficiency. Treatment to rectify the deficiency can therefore take time. The use of supplements and Chinese herbs can speed up recovery time, whilst acupuncture can reduce the sense of pain and improve sleep.
Acupuncture for chronic fatigue (ME)
Acupuncture can relieve symptoms of chronic fatigue (ME) such as pain, headaches, sleep problems, tiredness and depression by:
- Stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues, which leads to the release of endorphins and other neurohumoral factors, which changes the processing of pain in the brain and spinal cord
- Stimulating opiodergic neurons to increase the concentrations of beta-endorphin, thereby relieving pain
- Reducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory factors
- Improving muscle stiffness and joint mobility by increasing local microcirculation, which can reduce pain
- Reducing insomnia through increasing nocturnal endogenous melatonin secretion
Download my chronic fatigue factsheet.