Cystitis is often caused by a bacterial infection of the lower urinary tract. Symptoms include pain when urinating, increased urinary frequency and a sense of burning in the groin area.
In 70% of cases, the main cause is Escherichia coli. Cystitis affects women more than men.
In Chinese medicine cystitis is caused by excessive heat, which can be caused by:
- Sexual intercourse
- Consumption of yang type foods such as alcohol, spicy food and coffee, which cause damp heat
- Exposure to excessive heat, such as hot bath, electric blanket, sun bathing
Acupuncture for cystitis
It's been shown to help the body's natural healing to boost the immune system so bladder infections don't return.
Research has shown that acupuncture can help relieve the symptoms of cystitis. It does this by:
- Regulating the immune system
- Being anti-inflammatory
- Reducing pain and swelling
- Improving bladder irritation
You can also reduce urgent and frequent urination by increasing the strength of your pelvic floor through pelvic floor exercises.
Download my cystitis factsheet.