Sinusitis is an inflammation of the sinuses resulting in a blocked nose and facial pain/headahes.
Around 2% of the UK population consults their GP about a suspected sinus infection. Around 92% of people are given antibiotics.
Acupuncture for Sinusitis
Research has shown that acupuncture is able to relieve sinusitis symptoms such as nasal conjestion.
Acupuncture may help to relieve pain and congestion in people with sinusitis by:
- Increasing endorphins and neuropeptide Y levels, which can help to combat negative affective states
- Stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues, which leads to release of endorphins and other neurohumoral factors, and changes the processing of pain in the brain and spinal cord
- Reducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory factors
- Ehancing natural killer cell activities and modulating the number and ratio of immune cell types
- Increasing local microcirculation (Komori 2009), which aids dispersal of swelling