"Attilio is a very experienced practitioner and deals with issues in a very comfortable way"
"I only wish I had been introduced to Attilio earlier"
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the sinuses resulting in a blocked nose and facial pain and headaches.
Common symptoms of sinusitis include the common cold, nasal congestion and a post nasal drip. If these symptoms persist long term it could indicate that the person has chronic sinusitis.
Around 2% of the UK population consults their doctor about a suspected sinus infection. The most common reasons for sinusitis are bacterial infections.
Acupuncture for sinusitis
In western medicine, around 92% of people are given antibiotics to treat sinusitis.
Research has shown the effectiveness of acupuncture treatment in relieving symptoms of sinusitis by easing nasal congestion and boosting the immune system to fight the bacterial infection.
Accupuncture can treat this condition by:
- Increasing endorphins and neuropeptide Y levels, which can help to combat negative affective states
- Stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues, which leads to release of endorphins and other neurohumoral factors, and changes the processing of pain in the brain and spinal cord
- Reducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory factors
- Enhancing natural killer cell activities and modulating the number and ratio of immune cell types
- Increasing local microcirculation (Komori 2009), which aids dispersal of swelling