Acupuncture for vertigo
Vertigo is the most common type of dizziness. Vertigo is when things around you feel they are moving or spinning.
In biomedical terms it's caused by problems in the inner ear. In traditional Chinese medicine it can be caused by intense anger or a chronic lack of blood.
Treatment for vertigo
Research has shown that acupuncture is able to help relieve symptoms of vertigo.
Acupuncture may help to relieve vertigo by:
- Activating the left superior frontal gyrus, anterior cingulate gyrus, and dorsomedial nucleus of the thalamus, and stimulating the release of acupuncture-specific neural substrates in the cerebellum
- Increasing blood flow velocity in the vertebral-basilar artery, thus improving cervical vertigo
- Increasing endorphins (Han 2004) and neuropeptide Y levels (Lee 2009), which can help to combat negative affective states
- Stimulating nerves located in muscles and other tissues, which leads to release of endorphins and other neurohumoral factors, and changes the processing of pain in the brain and spinal cord
- Rducing inflammation, by promoting release of vascular and immunomodulatory factors
- Increasing local microcirculation (Komori 2009), which aids dispersal of swelling
Download my vertigo factsheet.